Organic coconut oil is considered to be the super-food of the century and, given the many studies that have been performed in relation to its health benefits, no one can deny that this fabulous-scenting oil really is a miracle worker.
Coconut oil is a food and an ingredient that is highly nutritious, and is regularly being used in the vegan and raw-vegan diets. Being a non-allergenic oil, it can also be consumed by children even from young ages. Plus, coconut oil is also used in cosmetic treatments or in homemade cosmetic recipes or laboratories. With recent studies showing that this oil can help you lose weight, prevent cancer and keep your heart healthy, let’s see what the fuss is all about:
How Do We Choose the Right One?
Like most oils, coconut oil can be of various varieties: extra virgin, cold pressed, hot pressed, and refined. The latter is being obtained by a chemical process that involves a range of harmful substances or as a secondary product from coconut flakes that usually contain trans fats (bad for your health).
Unrefined, cold pressed coconut oil is the most beneficial of them all, due to the fact that all of its extraordinary properties are kept intact.
Why is Coconut Oil so Healthy?
Coconut oil is the only vegetable oil that contains fatty acids good for your health. The oil is rapidly assimilated by your body and turned into energy, reason for which it is recommended to people who are trying to lose weight or who are working out. Containing 10% less calories than other vegetable oils and having 90% good fatty acids, this oil can have amazing health effects on diseases such as epilepsy or Alzheimer.
Coconut oil also lowers your bad cholesterol, stimulates your immune system, and speeds up your metabolism and digestion. Plus it helps your skin and hair look fabulous and stay healthy.
How to Use Coconut Oil?
You can easily use coconut oil in the kitchen or as a cosmetic product. It can be eaten, cooked, added in salads, cookies or eaten on bread.
In the Kitchen
Coconut oil is resistant to high temperatures and does not undergo an oxidation process with ease, making it the ideal oil for cooking as a substitute for butter, margarine and other oils or fats.
- Eat coconut oil on toast or as a super-food (1-2 tablespoons per day)
- Replace synthetic athlete energizers with coconut oil
- Add it in protein shakes or in smoothies
- Prepare homemade protein bars using coconut oil
- A nutritious coconut oil drink can help you get rid of a sore throat.
Cosmetic Uses for Coconut Oil
- Replace soap with coconut oil as it has lot of antibacterial properties; also, you can use it for a homemade soap recipe
- Add in in your homemade toothpaste for a better cleaning process alongside mint and baking soda
- Apply it on stretch marks
- Use it to hydrate your skin and cure sun burns
- Apply it on your hair for a nutritious mask; it can also help you get rid of dandruff
- Coconut oil can also treat a wide variety of skin diseases
- Mix coconut oil with coffee, sugar, cinnamon and a bit of olive oil for the perfect anti-cellulite body scrub
- Thoroughly massage coconut oil on your skin if you want to get diminish cellulite
- Mixing it with a few simple ingredients such as lemon juice and essential oils it can become a natural, discreet and efficient body deodorant
- Apply coconut oil around your eyes, as a mask, to get rid of the effects of sleepless nights and tired days.
Were you already familiar with the health benefits of coconut oil? How are you using this miracle worker in your Teatox diet? Share your experience with us via Instagram or Facebook and don’t forget to use @#teatoxaustralia and #coconutoil hashtags.