Not satisfied with the shape of your butt? Does it look flat and droopy or fat and lumpy? If you have answered YES to these questions, you are actually not alone. In fact, only a small minority of women are blessed naturally with perfect-looking buttocks and as you’ve guessed it, we are referring to the models and celebs you see in the magazines. For the rest of us, proper exercise is the key to get closer to the shapes we want. Here are some of the best exercises to tone your butt within just a few weeks (if followed at least 3 times a week).
Squats. Squats are pretty much staple when it comes to toning your butt and people love them because they don’t require any fancy equipment and are generally easy to follow. However, even though squats are simple, they still need to be done properly to yield great results. If you do them wrong, you may also risk getting lightly injured so better pay attention. Here are the basic steps:
- Have a low benchmark or box or chair behind you, so you can use it as your guide and squat always on the same low level.
- Stand up and straighten your posture while opening your legs approx. the same with as your shoulders.
- Take a big breath in and bend your knees backward at a 90-degree angle. Make sure that the lower part of your legs stays intact, as your knees and bum squat to the level of the chair or box.
- Repeat the previous step 15 times per set and perform 3 sets in total (45 squats).
Lunges. Lunges is another basic yet highly effective exercise for toning your butt as well as upper parts of your legs. In their simplest form, no equipment is necessary but we suggest that you try these with dumbbells for even greater effects, as you are getting accustomed to the exercise. Here is how to do them:
- Stand and straighten your upper body posture, as if there is an invisible parallel thread holding you.
- Lean forward with one of your legs in a 90-degree angle and lower your hips until both legs, one on the front and one behind, are bending to that angle.
- Make sure that your body weight leans towards the heels of your feet as you push backward
- Swap your legs and repeat 12 times for each set, making 3 sets in total. (each leg counts as one time).
Hip-Lift Rise. This simple exercise resembles making a bridge with your legs. A very effective exercise for toning the lower back and butt muscles as well as helping decrease cellulite. Here is how to make it:
- Lie on your back straight with your hands placed sidewise and your knees bend at a 45-degree angle and feet touching the floor.
- Lift your hips upwards, facing the ceiling while your feet and your upper body remain on the floor. Hold for 1-2 seconds and lower your hips back.
- Repeat the same exercise for a couple of minutes or do 4 sets of 12 reps each.
- Make sure you drink small amounts of water or tea to keep your body hydrated throughout the sessions. These exercises typically produce medium amounts of sweat so having a small glass or cup nearby is ideal to replenish lost liquids.
- In general, you should feel a mild degree of tension and force when doing the exercises but if the pain is really intense, you should stop or take a break before harming yourself.
To make your but and legs look more toned and youthful, check out these anti-aging workouts as well.