If you have ever tried to detox yourself or wish to go the detox route for the first time, you may be already aware of the possible detox side effects that may come with it. When your body goes suddenly to detox switching mode, it needs a few days to adjust itself and this may result in a few short-lasting and unpleasant symptoms. Typical detox symptoms include:
- Low Energy
- Induced Food Cravings
- Brain Fog
The occurrence of such symptoms as side effects of a detox regime is known as “healing crisis”, a phase where system flushes out toxins and tries to adapt to a toxic-free environment. Your immune system responds and triggers an inflammatory response in reaction to the release of toxins so it can later adapt to its new, detox-free status.
However, if you are sensitive enough, you want to make sure that you allow your body to heal and adapt faster, while minimizing any toxic side effect symptoms. Here are some tips to help with this stage:
- Drink plenty of zero sugar liquids like water and tea. Water and herbal teas are essential when it comes to detox, both during and after as they help keep system well-hydrated and speed-up the healing process.
- Get active. Exercise boosts blood circulation and sweating, which in turns relieves bloating, fatigue and stress that often come with detox. Just make sure you take a lukewarm shower soon after each workout session to avoid any toxic build-up in your body.
- Eat more protein. Many people encounter sudden blood sugar extremes (lows or highs) or food cravings when on detox. Experts suggest for this reason to take small regular meals filled with protein e.g dried chickpeas, hummus, turkey ham, tuna, or any other healthy source of protein.
- Get a good amount of sleep. Sleep is often overlooked but it’s one of the top elements you should consider when you are detoxing as it can either improve or worsen your symptoms. Aim for a 7-8 hour night sleep and possibly take small 15-minute naps throughout the day when you are feeling low energy and tired.
- Drink or eat ginger. As most of detox side effects are associated with digestive issues like nausea, gas, and bloating you can relieve these all at once by drinking some ginger tea or adding eat to your healthy meals. Fresh is the best option but you can also take some ginger capsules if you don’t like the taste or add a few tsp of ginger powder into your meals and drinks for a subtle ginger flavor.
Remember that detox side effects are common and are a sign that your body is starting to heal, after making you feel worse. In most cases, side effects subdue after a few days or a couple of weeks, depending on the amount of toxins you’ve already had in your system. If the symptoms persist for longer or are hard to candle despite your efforts, speak with your physician as soon as possible so they can help you recover.